[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

ActiveX - Arrogance rules

Alan,

In your rant about all those morons ruining the Net you forgot to
mention the source of your paycheck.

>From your sig file:
Alan Olsen -- alano@teleport.com -- Contract Web Design &
Instruction(it's in the sig file).

So you work for a firm that helps losers and morons get onto (and clog)
the Net. Hmmm.

Despite the chest beating and rants about idiots not knowing what they
are doing (all technically true), many of us realize that if the Net
were full of fellow geeks who understood technology, we'd all be out of
work.

My only request is for more content and less noise. I understand the
technical proficiency of the average end user, and that they are paid
to do boring things like bring in money to pay my high salary as a
technologist.

I joined this list not to feed my ego but to keep abreast of security
vulnerabilities on the web.

Tom Cooper

Here's what I am ranting about:

The problem here is that you are overestimating the clues of the
average Internet user.

Most of the people i have met who are on the net are there because they
believe that they have to be to be buzzword complient.  (Buzzword
complience
is one of the requirements for ISO 9000 certification, as well as
looking
younger and tasting better.)  The media has sold them on the idea that
the
Internet is the "Cool Place to Be".

Most of these people would not know the difference between a security
model
and a supermodel.

Most of these people have no idea what the dialogs mean that pop up on
a web
browser or any of the myrad pieces of information that you and I take
for
granted.  ("What is this key at the bottom of the screen and do i have
split it with the sound man?")

Most of these people do not even know the basics about running their
own
computers, let alone have any clues about security issues.

And you know what?  THEY DO NOT WANT TO KNOW!  They just want it to
"make it
go".  They want it to be as easy as their microwave oven and they don't
care
that their are safety procedures to keep them from putting their head
in it.
(Hell, many of them probibly put foil in theirs just to watch the
pretty
lights.)

"These are just simple people.  The common clay of the new Internet.
You
know... Morons."

> In an Intranet environment, where you have
control over the code and the environment, ActiveX has a place.  But it
does
not have a place where the majority of the users are clueless and will
believe just about anything you tell them.

Then again, maybe ActiveX is a good thing.  Maybe it will clear out a
bunch
of newbies when they hit all the landmine ActiveX apps that will spring
up
in the next year or so.  We can only hope.

It won't be on any of the web pages I administer...
---
Alan Olsen -- alano@teleport.com -- Contract Web Design & Instruction
        `finger -l alano@teleport.com` for PGP 2.6.2 key
                http://www.teleport.com/~alano/
  "We had to destroy the Internet in order to save it." - Sen. Exon
                "Microsoft -- Nothing but NT promises."